Fashion & Style News: Gap Co-Founder Dies at 81

Monday, September 28, 2009


Oh the talented folks that come from the Bay Area...Gap founder Donald Fisher passed away Sunday at 81 at his home in San Francisco.

My early memories of Gap are fond ones. I can recall my days of catching the 40 bus from Oakland to Berkeley just to shop at the Gap near Cal's campus. One summer I bought a striped shirt in three colors, along with a pair of white shorts, and a matching pair of shoes. I showed up at the Pleasanton fair with my striped shirt on alongside two of the guys from my neighborhood and we posed for pictures to show off our excellent taste! My button-up black leather jacket that I wore all through college at Southern University was one of my favorite items I purchased from the store.

It is amazing how a single idea can take on a life of its own. Gap has been in my life for years, my mother was a huge fan of Banana Republic before it became Banana Republic. Don Fisher proved that even with no retail experience that a passion for something exceeds a formal skill. If you can dream it you can do it and he and Doris did it.

The Chocolate Fashion Blog thanks the Fisher family and the Gap Inc., family for dressing us over the years. We look forward to more from you.

Photo: Doris and Don Fisher in 1969.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Comments

No response to “Fashion & Style News: Gap Co-Founder Dies at 81”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
The Chocolate Fashion Blog (TM). Citrus Pink Blogger Theme Design By LawnyDesignz Powered by Blogger